SMSU WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: SMSU prepares for home opener against Waldorf
MARSHALL – Southwest Minnesota State will look to rebound from a tough opening weekend in the NSIC/ MIAA Challenge as it hosts its home opener against Waldorf (Iowa) this afternoon at 4 p.m., in the R/A Facility.
SMSU Quick Hits
– Head Coach, Tom Webb, enters his second season at the helm to the SMSU women’s basketball program after spending eight seasons at Cameron University in Lawton, Okla.
– Senior forward, Lauren Hedlund, enters the week just 12 points shy of becoming the 19th member of the SMSU women’s basketball 1,000 career points club.
– SMSU holds a 34-14 all-time record in home openers.
– Sophomore forward, Caleigh Rodning, was named to the 2016-17 NSIC All-Freshman team after averaging 13.7 ppg and 7.8 rpg as a true freshman.
– Southwest Minnesota State hosts Waldorf (Iowa) for just the second time ever on Saturday.
– SMSU was ranked 12th overall in this year’s Preseason NSIC Coaches’ Poll.
Home Sweet Home
– The 2017-18 season marks the 22nd year the R/A Facility has been the home arena for SMSU women’s basketball.
– SMSU has compiled a record of 134-139 (.491) in 273 games in the R/A Facility.
– SMSU is 314-238 (.571) in all home games in the program’s history.
– SMSU is 34-14 all-time in home openers.
– SMSU last home opening win was a 101-43 win over Crown College back in 2013.
– SMSU fell, 75-40 to USF in last season’s home opener.
– The Mustangs won seven consecutive home openers from 2002-08.
– Southwest Minnesota State opened the season in the MIAA/NSIC Challenge hosted at Upper Iowa University in Fayette, Iowa.
– The Mustangs opened the season against Missouri Western State and Fort Hays State for a third consecutive season.
– SMSU lost to Missouri Western State, 76-46 on Friday night, dropping its record to 29-20 all-time in season openers.
– SMSU struggled on offense throughout the weekend, finishing just 28 percent shooting from the floor as a team.
– The Mustangs connected on just 4 of 30 three point attempts (13 percent) in their two games over the weekend.
– SMSU finished with 43 turnovers in two games over the weekend.
– Caleigh Rodning led SMSU with nine points in Friday’s loss to MWSU after leading SMSU in scoring 13 times as a true freshman last year.
– Erin Baxter averaged 8.5 ppg in her first two career games for SMSU including seven points in her Mustang debut.
– Taylor Holicky led SMSU in rebounding with 5.5 rpg over the weekend.
– Southwest Minnesota State will face Waldorf (Iowa) for just the second time in school history.
– The Mustangs defeated Waldorf, 87-56 in the first matchup back during the 2004-05 season in Marshall.
Waldorf Team Notes
– 2016-17 Record: 2-26, 0-16 NSAA
– 2017-18 Record: 1-5, 0-0 NSAA
– The Warriors will travel to Marshall coming off of an 89-67 loss to Bethany Lutheran on Wednesday night.
– The Waldorf Warriors, members of the North Star Athletic Association (NSAA), finished at the bottom of the conference standings last year after failing to register a league win.
– The Warriors defeated Nebraska Christian College, 63-41 in their regular season opener but have since dropped their last five games.
– Waldorf lost to Dordt College, 65-48.
– The Warriors then dropped its second home game of the year in an 86-76 loss to Trinity Christian College.
– Over a four-game stretch this season, Taylor Fricke led Waldorf with 12.75 points per game and leading rebounder with 25 total rebounds.
– Fricke was also first on the team with a 51.4 field goal percentage over the same four-game stretch.
– Michaela Graffunder was second on the Warriors with 10.25 ppg over the same four-game stretch.
of SMSU Athletic