AMATEUR BASEBALL: Marshall battles Tracy, weather

Game gets suspended in ninth inning with Marshall leading 15-13

Photo by Chris Drummond Marshall’s Logan Terfehr delivers a pitch during their game against Tracy on Wednesday. Marshall led Tracy 15-13 in the ninth inning when the game was suspended due to weather.

MARSHALL — The Marshall amateur baseball team has been involved in some high-scoring games as of late, with Marshall recording at least 13 runs in three of its past four games. The A’s looked to continued that trend against Tracy on Wednesday, but were met with an Engineers offense ready to match Marshall.

More than 30 hits combined and a few lead changes later, it appeared Marshall was close to earning a 15-13 victory. Then Mother Nature stepped in.

Late rain forced the game to ultimately be suspended per Corn Belt League rules. Details on the game’s resumption were not available at press time.

Despite facing a deficit in the top of the first, the A’s quickly erased that in the ensuing at-bat by scoring four runs including a Connor Neubeck RBI single which capped off the inning for Marshall. However, the Engineers were not done. 

The top of the fifth inning is where Tracy started to build momentum scoring three runs, two on wild pitches, trimming the deficit to one at 6-5. The A’s would tack on another run but the seventh inning is where all the action would ensue.

Starting with the top of the seventh and the Engineers down by two, they would score three runs to take the lead from the A’s behind a two-run double by Barry Meyer laced deep to left center and a sac fly by Shane Erickson, but the A’s would respond.

In the bottom of the seventh, Marshall would score six runs and bat around. It started with a pop fly single by second baseman Peyton Grant to tie up the game at eight-all. Then two wild pitches gave the A’s the lead again, along with catcher Nick Macchio hitting a line drive single to center scoring two and giving Marshall a 12-8 lead. The inning was capped off by Coby Brownlee hitting a bloop RBI single and at the end of seven innings, the A’s led 13-8. That lead quickly evaporated.

In the ensuing inning, the Engineers came back from a deficit for the second time in the ballgame, scored five runs with Erickson hitting a three-run home run to tie up the game at 13-all heading into the bottom of the eighth.

Marshall wasn’t done, though. In the bottom of the eighth with the bases loaded, Neubeck hit a hard ball past the second baseman scoring two and giving the A’s back the lead at 15-13, heading into the top of the ninth. As the top of the ninth inning approached, with it potentially being the Engineers’ last at-bat, lightning started to strike and due to that, the game was delayed for a minimum of 30 minutes before being ultimately suspended.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today