THE FINAL WORD: Amateur players lending a helping hand at state
MARSHALL – Although their team’s seasons are over, for some talented individuals, they get a chance to keep playing.
Across the state, amateur baseball players are suiting up for other teams after being drafted before the state tournament. Here’s a look at some area athletes who are competing at the state tournament as draftees:
– Marshall’s Zach Olson and the Milroy Yankees’ Austin Deutz and Mahlon Zimmerman were all drafted to Bird Island, who defeated Dumont 1-0 in the first round and will face Jordan next Saturday at 7 p.m. in Delano. Olson, Deutz and Zimmerman did not play in the win.
– Tyler Peterson of the Milroy Irish was picked up by the Fairmont Martins, who earned a first-round bye and will face Lake City next Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in Maple Lake.
– Cody Mather of the Milroy Irish was drafted by the Hadley Buttermakers, who saw their season come to an end with an opening round loss to Cologne on Saturday. Mather did not play in the game.
– The third member of the Milroy Irish who was taken in a draft, Kenny Morris, is currently playing for the Luverne Redbirds. Luverne defeated Carver 4-3 in the opening round on Saturday and will face New Market next Sunday at 4:30 p.m. in Maple Lake. Morris pitched 2 2/3 innings in relief for the Redbirds, walking two batters and striking out three to pick up the save.
– Lamberton’s Johnny Pistulka was selected by the New Ulm Brewers, who earned a first-round bye. New Ulm will take on Buckman next Sunday at 1:30 p.m. in Maple Lake.
– Granite Falls’ Colton Vien was drafted by the Raymond Rockets, who earned a first-round bye. Raymond will take on Perham next Sunday at 7 p.m. in Maple Lake.
– The Milroy Yankees also have a third player currently playing for a different team, as Nathan Deutz is suiting up for the New London-Spicer Twins. New London-Spicer defeated Howard Lake 2-0 in the opening round and will face Mora next Sunday at 1:30 p.m. in Delano. Deutz did not play in the win.
– Lamberton’s Nick Altermatt was drafted by the Stark Longhorns, who fell to Watkins 2-0 on Sunday in the opening round. Altermatt came on in relief, tossing a scoreless ninth inning.