SMSU WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: SMSU travels to Moorhead for NSIC/Sanford Health Tournament
MARSHALL – The Southwest Minnesota State University women’s basketball team gets set for the NSIC/Sanford Health Tournament tonight facing MSU Moorhead with tip-off set for 7 p.m. at Alex Nemzek Hall in Moorhead.
– If SMSU wins tonight, it would advance to the tournament quarterfinals on Sunday at 8 p.m. at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D., versus either Sioux Falls or U-Mary.
– SMSU is looking for its first victory in the NSIC Tournament since beating Wayne State in the quarterfinals of the 2003 tournament.
– SMSU has lost 11 straight NSIC Tournament games.
– SMSU head coach Tom Webb needs one more victory for his 100th career win as a Division II head coach. He collected 91 wins as head coach at Cameron (Okla.).
– MSU Moorhead has won the last seven meetings between the two teams.
– Senior forward, Lauren Hedlund, became the 19th member of the SMSU women’s basketball 1,000 career points club earlier this season against UIU and currently ranks tied for third in team history in free throws attempted, fifth in rebounds and tied for sixth in free throws made.
– Caleigh Rodning finished the NSIC season ranking fourth in free throw percentage, eighth in rebounding and 15th in scoring.
– MSU Moorhead leads the all-time series 42-40.
– This is the second straight season and third time overall the two teams have meet in the NSIC Tournament. MSUM won last season’s meeting, 71-35. SMSU earned an 84-57 at the 2002 NSIC Tournament in St. Paul.
– MSU Moorhead has won seven straight games since SMSU earned a 64-57 win in Moorhead on Jan. 3, 2012.
– MSU Moorhead is 37-31 over SMSU in conference games.
– The Dragons hold a 28-14 advantage in games played in Moorhead.
– The SMSU women’s basketball program honored its two seniors this past Saturday in the Mustangs final home game of the season.
– Taylor Holicky enters play this week ranked ninth in SMSU history in career blocked shots with 81.
– Lauren Hedlund has logged over 2,300 career minutes in 108 career games for the Mustangs.
– Hedlund ranks fifth all-time in career rebounds (701) is tied for sixth in free throws made (313) and tied for third in free throws attempted (489).
MSU Moorhead Team Notes
– 2017-18 Record: 22-4, 19-3 NSIC
– MSU Moorhead had its 16-game winning streak snapped last Saturday, losing at home to Minnesota Duluth, 59-47.
– MSU Moorhead won a share of the NSIC North and Overall titles this season.
– Jacky Volkert averages a team-high 14 points per game and has made 112 of 138 free throws.
– Drew Sannes averaged 13.8 points and 9.1 rebounds per game.
– Cassidy Thorson has connected on a team-high 68 3-pointers for the Dragons and is scoring 10.5 ppg.
of SMSU Athletic