On the Porch
The social news or gossip columns in the old newspapers are always fascinating to read. A special section in the newspaper was devoted to the social media of the day. The whereabouts of local people and events were often featured in these columns. Here are a few from the News Messenger of Lyon County on July 8, 1898:
John Hollo who left Marshall last winter, with a party of five, gold hunters, for the Copper River country, returned home unexpectedly this evening, after having penetrated over a hundred miles into the Alaskan interior, but not reaching the headwaters of the Copper River. John conducted home, and the wife and babies were worth more to him than Alaskan gold.
Auditor Pointon of Granite Falls, was in town today a few hours while returning home from his farm near Canby, and reports farm crops looking fine.
Marshall had everything easy in the ball game with Lake Benton last Saturday, winning hands down, 13 to 4. Benton was weak on pitchers.
Three old soldiers appeared before the Pipestone pension board for examination. They were John A. Larkin, of Lynd, Minnesota, a member of Company E 10th New York artillery; Jacob I. Ricketts, of Slayton, a member of Company D 53d Indiana Infantry; Henry Frease, of Marshall, a member of Company C 23d Wisconsin Infantry.
Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Pattridge, and children, of Tracy spent yesterday forenoon with Marshall friends, leaving on the Great Northern at noon for a few days visit with relatives at Morris. They will find several Marshallites at Morris, Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Healy and children, and Uncle Healy, Will Simons and wife, and Mr. and Mrs. L.V. Barnes, and being former Marshall residents themselves they will feel quite at home.
At the annual meeting of the Marshall Fire Department, Albert Volk was elected chief, T.J. Baldwin foreman, Robt. Neill treasurer, T.G. Bonnallie secretary, and Clark Lawrence, Chas. Laudenslager and S.H. May, trustees, J.H. Schneider, Ernest Shepard and Albert Tollefson, finance committee.
The photograph featured this week from the museum’s collection is Marshall Fire Department, circa 1900. The charter for the Marshall Fire Department was signed at a special meeting of the town council on July 10, 1890. A week later, the first meeting of the department was held, bylaws drawn and adopted, equipment added, and training had begun for the newly formed department.
The Lyon County Historical Society (LCHS) is a non-profit, member-supported organization. LCHS operates the Lyon County Museum at 301 W Lyon St in Marshall. The museum is now open! For hours and more information, visit our website: www.lyoncomuseum.org, call: 507-537-6580, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or check our Facebook page.