Trending
Dr. Harper Workman persuaded Mrs. Pat Summers to set up space in her home at South and 6th Street in around 1910 for surgery and rooms for care. This home served as Tracy's first hospital until one opened in 1919 by Drs. Valentine and Hoidale in the former O'Brien home on the corner of 4th and Emory St. Dr. Valentine also built a new modern office on Third Street.
In 1927, Dr. Hoidale and Dr. W.G. Workman purchased a large home at 6th and Rowland and remodeled it to become the Clinic Hospital. For many years, Dr. Hoidale and Dr. Warner Workman operated the Clinic Hospital at Sixth and Rowland until the new Tracy Municipal Hospital was opened in 1961.
The Tracy Hospital, Inc. was built by Dr. Valentine in 1938. Dr. Valentine had long dreamed of a modern hospital in Tracy. Because of a lack of funds, Dr. Valentine prepared the plans and specifications with the assistance of an architect and served as the contractor of the building, which was completed in June 1938.
In 1956, both the Tracy Hospital Inc. and the Clinic Hospital were promised substantial grants from the Ford Foundation. Both hospitals needed improvements. The meeting was opened by Dr. Workman, who outlined the possibility of consolidating the two hospitals, pointing out that the Clinic Hospital equipment, its Ford Foundation grant, and part of the proceeds from the sale of the property would be turned over to the consolidated group.
Dr. Workman emphasized the fact that the move would be made only under the condition that the consolidated hospital be headed and managed by a lay board. Dr. Valentine made it clear that he would not consent to a change in management. This appeared to be in direct conflict with Dr. Workman's idea. The committee, who were named to canvass the community and raise the necessary funds, continued on despite the difference in views.
After failure to construct a third floor to the Tracy Hospital (because it was virtually impossible) and construction of an 18 room addition (funds were short $40,000 at the conclusion of their drive), the committee tried the Hill-Burton approach. This act of congress provided funding for new hospitals to be built across the United States. The new Tracy Municipal Hospital opened in 1961, using city and Hill-Burton funds.
The photograph featured this week from the Lyon County Museum's collection is a real photo postcard of the Clinic Hospital in Tracy. The postcard is postmarked June 29, 1950.
The Lyon County Historical Society (LCHS) is a nonprofit, member-supported organization. LCHS operates the Lyon County Museum at 301 West Lyon Street in Marshall. The Lyon County Museum is open year-round to visitors. To contact us, visit our website: www.lyoncomuseum.org, call: 507-537-6580, email: director@lyoncomuseum.org, or on our Facebook page.