On the Porch
The First National Bank of Marshall opened its doors on Sept. 8, 1891. The original capital stock of $50,000 was owned by H.M. Langland, G.W. Pitts, M.W. Harden, R.M. Addison, C.F. Johnson, Olof Pehrson, F.E. Parsons, and Andrew Nelson. These men also served in management of the bank as the first officers and directors. At the end of the first year’s business, deposits totaled around $50,000.
The original building was located between Second (now East College Drive) and Third on the north side of Main Street. In 1916, the original structure was replaced with a new building on the same site (currently home to Hunan Lion). A grand opening reception for the new building was held on Nov. 21, 1916.
According to the News-Messenger on Nov. 24, two thousand invitations were sent out to Marshall area residents, and more than that number toured the new bank building on opening day. Several thousand roses were presented to the guests. The Marshall Orchestra played during the day and during the evening the Edison furnished the music. The lobby was decorated with many vases of cut flowers, which were presented to the bank by various business connections.
The contractor of the building was the Louis F. Dow Company of St. Paul. H.J. Warnock was the architect. The News-Messenger described details of the bank building in the Nov. 24 edition.
“The new building is of Bedford stone, massive in appearance and in keeping with the sound, conservative methods which characterize this institution. There is not a piece of wood in the entire front, even the windows being incased in copper frames. The interior is a work of art. The floor is of tile, and the lobby partition, customer’s table and seats are made of the very finest grade of Alaska marble.”
First National Bank remained in this building until 1965. In 1963-1964, the Producers’ Co-Op Creamery building on the corner of 4th and Main Street along with the Central Hotel next to it were torn down for construction of a new First National Bank Building. Construction of the new bank building took place most of the year in 1964. First National Bank would later change to First Northwestern Bank, and in 1983, to Norwest Banks. Today, the building is home to Wells Fargo.
The photograph featured this week from the Lyon County Museum’s collection is First National Bank prior to moving to the new building in 1965.
The Lyon County Historical Society (LCHS) is a non-profit, member-supported organization. LCHS operates the Lyon County Museum at 301 W Lyon St in Marshall. The Lyon County Museum is open to visitors. To contact us, visit our website: www.lyoncomuseum.org, call: 507-537-6580, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or on our Facebook page.