Marshall man arrested after police standoff

MARSHALL — A 63-year-old Marshall man was taken into custody late Wednesday night after a standoff involving Marshall Police and the regional Emergency Response Unit, Marshall Police said.

Traffic on part of East Main Street was blocked off for about six hours Wednesday, while law enforcement responded to reports of a man with a gun barricaded inside a residence.

Paul Kenneth Laumann was booked into the Lyon County Jail on Thursday morning. He will be held for court pending charges of making terroristic threats, domestic assault, second degree assault with a dangerous weapon, intentionally pointing a gun, and disorderly conduct.

In a news release, Marshall Police said they were called to a residence on the 100 block of East Main Street to assist with a family matter. While on the scene, Laumann made verbal threats toward a police officer and fired a handgun, Police said. As the officer helped another family member to safety and left the residence, Laumann barricaded himself inside, Police said.

Around 5 p.m., the MPD and Lyon County Sheriff’s Office blocked off the 100 block of East Main Street, and directed people on the sidewalk to either stay inside their homes or leave the area. Some Marshall residents in the neighborhood around the 100 block said they also received emergency phone messages telling them to stay indoors until further notice.

The Brown, Lyon, Redwood and Renville ERU was activated for assistance, Marshall Police said. ERU members started a staging area near the intersection of East Main Street and First Street. Around 7:30 p.m., two ERU vehicles — one with a ramming device attached — pulled up outside the residence.

Marshall Police said law enforcement tried negotiating with Laumann. After negotiations failed, they attempted to get him out of the house by using chemical agents, Police said. During the incident, Laumann fired additional rounds outside the residence, Police said.

Laumann was taken into custody without injury around 11 p.m., Police said. Formal charges will be submitted to the Lyon County Attorney’s Office, Marshall Police said.

Marshall Public Safety Director Jim Marshall said Thursday that law enforcement’s goal in responding to the incident was to avoid people getting hurt.

“I appreciate the community’s patience at a time like that,” especially with some residents being asked to evacuate the area, Marshall said.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.38/week.

Subscribe Today