‘Good outcome’ after Arctic Glacier ammonia leak
MARSHALL — A mechanical issue with a refrigeration system is being blamed for a release of ammonia at the Arctic Glacier ice facility Thursday evening.
Part of Marshall’s industrial park was evacuated after the Marshall Fire Department and the area Hazardous Materials Response Team responded to the scene.
There were no injuries reported in the incident, and responders ventilated the building, said Marshall Fire Chief Quentin Brunsvold.
“We’re glad it was a good outcome,” he said.
Brunsvold said the mechanical issue with the refrigeration system led to a release of pressure that also released ammonia outside the building. Responders found elevated levels of ammonia inside the facility as well, but there were no employees inside the building at the time, he said.
Ammonia is dangerous to people if inhaled, and it can also have hazardous reactions with other chemicals.
Duininck employees who were doing street work on Halbur Road, as well as Spee-Dee Delivery Service and Viessman Trucking to the north of Arctic Glacier, were evacuated as a safety precaution, Brunsvold said.