Time for the Fourth and fun in Marshall
MARSHALL — With the 4th of July holiday weekend fast approaching, many area families will be relaxing together. And in Marshall, a good bet for some all-ages fun will be celebrations at Independence Park.
The city’s annual Independence Day event and Festival of Kites is planned to return on Thursday afternoon, with fireworks Thursday night.
“We’ve got a lot of fun things lined up,” said Amanda Beckler of Marshall Community Services. “We’re hoping for a good day.”
Some of last year’s Independence Day festivities ended up having a change of venue after heavy rains flooded the park. While forecasts say there’s still a chance of showers on Thursday, Beckler said there are no plans to change this year’s events. If needed, area residents can follow Marshall Community Services on social media for weather-related updates, she said.
Celebrations at the park will include food vendors, free kites to fly, and a kids’ fishing derby. But there will also be some new events and activities to try throughout the day, Beckler said. In the evening, park visitors will have a chance to hear a variety of music, including live performances.
“We’re really excited about Kayla Daniels coming to perform,” she said. Daniels, a singer-songwriter and southwest Minnesota native, will be performing starting at 8:30 p.m. in the park. At 7:30, the Marshall City Band will hold a concert with patriotic music, and free American flags for people in the audience.
Community support has always been a big part of the Independence Day celebrations, Beckler said. Local groups like the Marshall Area Kiwanis, and businesses including Hy-Vee of Marshall, all play a part in organizing the event or sponsoring the 4th of July fireworks display.
The display is always a big draw, making the Fourth a celebration for the area, Beckler said.
“The fireworks are always fantastic,” she said.
MARSHALL INDEPENDENCE DAY SCHEDULE
All events at Independence Park, July 4
3 p.m. — Food vendors open
3-7 p.m. — Kiwanis Clubhouse opens, including free kites, bounce houses and more
6-7 p.m. — Kids’ fishing derby (bring your own bait/rods)
7:30 p.m. — Marshall City Band concert, free American flags
8:30 p.m. — Musical entertainment by Kayla Daniels
10:15 p.m. — Fireworks spectacular
AREA JULY 4 CELEBRATIONS
• Prairie’s Edge Convention Center — A free show featuring Bob and the Beachcombers, and a fireworks display, will be today. The music starts at 8 p.m., with fireworks at 10 p.m.
• Gary, South Dakota — A fireworks display will be held at 10 p.m. today at the Buffalo Ridge Resort.
• Balaton — Balaton’s Fun Fest will be held July 4-7, with events on all four days. A fireworks display will be at 10 p.m. July 5, at the Eastbay Addition. The Fun Fest grand parade will start at 2 p.m. on July 6.
• Currie — Currie’s 4th of July Extravaganza will be held July 3-4, with events including a performance by IV Play at 9 p.m. on July 3, and fireworks at dusk July 4.
• Hendricks — Hendricks’ Summerfest will be July 3-7, with events on all five days. The Parade of Flags will be held at 10:30 a.m. on July 4, followed by the presentation of the Community Spirit Award at 11 a.m., and a free-will donation picnic. A boat parade will be held at 2 p.m., weather permitting.
• Ruthton — July 4 celebrations will include events like a 5K run, and magic by Travis Nye. Parade starts at 11 a.m., with a potluck to follow at the city park.
• Wilno — A turkey dinner and other activities will be held at St. John Cantius Catholic Church. Dinner will be from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. July 4. Entertainment will be provided by the Callens Family.