Private Pesticide Applicator Recertification workshops scheduled
WORTHINGTON — If you need to renew your Private Pesticide Applicator certification, you can do so by attending one of the upcoming recertification workshops sponsored by University of MN Extension. These workshops offer a great opportunity to review regulations and safety issues related to pesticide application, as well as provide you with the latest University research on integrated pest management.
You need to renew your private pesticide applicator certification in 2020 if you:
• Apply pesticides to land or sites you own, rent or lease for the production of agriculture commodities and
• Plan to use Restricted Use Pesticides and
• Reside in the state of Minnesota and
• Your certification expires in 2020
Recertification workshops scheduled for Southwestern Minnesota include:
• Jan. 30, Pipestone, MN West Community & Technical College — Room 103: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Jan. 31, Slayton, Murray County 4-H Building: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Feb. 6, Marshall, MERIT Center: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Feb. 7, Lamberton, Southwest Research and Outreach Center: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Feb. 12, Albert Lea, Riverland Community College — Lecture Hall 124: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Feb. 13, Fairmont, Knights of Columbus: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Feb. 14, Montevideo, American Legion: 12:30-4 p.m. (Note: A Soybean Gall Midge meeting will be held prior to this session from 10:30-11:30. See https://z.umn.edu/sgm-monte for details and to register.)
• Feb. 18, Sleepy Eye, Sleepy Eye Event Center: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Feb. 21, Jackson, American Legion: 12:30-4 p.m.
• Feb. 26, Worthington, Worthington Event Center: 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
For a complete listing of workshops offered throughout the state, check the U of MN Pesticide Safety and Environmental Education website http://z.umn.edu/ppatprogram or call the Farm Information Line at 1-800-232-9077. In case of inclement weather, check these sources for any weather-related updates.
Workshop topics will include:
• Pesticide Laws and Regulations
• Transportation, Storage and Emergencies
• Herbicide Residuals and Cover Crops
• Laundering Pesticide Contaminated Clothing
• Current Crop/Pest Issues and Integrated Pest Management
Registration for the recertification workshops will be taken at the door and no pre-registration is required. Anyone attending a workshop for recertification must bring a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport. Bringing your Private Pesticide Applicator Certification Card will assist in the registration process as well.
Attending a recertification workshop renews your certification for three years. Please note you must attend the entire workshop to meet recertification requirements.
For those who are unable to attend a workshop or would rather retest for recertification, two other options exist. You may either complete the test as a home study course (books and tests available at most County Extension Offices) or you may complete the test on-line at http://www.pat.umn.edu.
The cost to recertify, either by attending a recertification workshop or retesting, is $75. A farmer who is not currently certified (i.e. becoming certified for the first time or their certification expired in 2019 or earlier) is required to first take the test to become certified.
Note these workshops are separate from the additional training required for certified applicators who wish to apply dicamba formulations onto dicamba-tolerant soybeans in 2020. Check the Minnesota Crop Production Retailers Association website at https://mcpr-cca.org/dicamba-information-trainings/ for more information regarding these sessions. If you plan to apply paraquat, see https://z.umn.edu/paraquat for more details on additional training requirements as well.
Contact Liz Stahl, Extension educator in Crops at 507-372-3900 ext. 3912, or email@example.com) if you have any questions or need further information about these workshops.