SMSU Theater season opens with ‘Peter and the Starcatcher’
SMSU Theater’s 53rd season opens with “Peter and the Starcatcher” by Rick Elice, based on the popular novel by Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson, with music by Wayne Barker. Performances are 7:30 p.m. Nov. 6-7 and 13-14, and 2 p.m. Nov. 8 and 14-15. All performances are in the SMSU Fine Arts Theatre, with free parking available in lot B-1. Show tickets are $10 and are available at www.SMSUtickets.com and at the door.
In keeping with current public health guidelines, physically distanced seating is limited to approximately 60-75 per performance. All performances are free to SMSU students with a valid student ID.
“Peter and the Starcatcher” is a high-energy, high seas adventure, featuring pirates, mermaids, a mysterious trunk, and a tropical island. With creativity and imagination, 18 actors portray dozens of characters to spin the thrilling tale of an orphan boy on his way to becoming Peter Pan.
“Peter and the Starcatcher” is directed by Professor of Theater Nadine Purvis Schmidt of Estelline, S.D., who is also the producer. Cat (Caitlin) Schmidt, a 2020 theater arts alumna from Arlington, is the scenic, lighting, and costume designer. Mary Jean Porter, a senior theater arts and professional writing double major, studio art and music minor, from Marshall, is the stage manager and vocal director. The cast includes:
• Ale Ojasope Emmanuel, a junior theater arts major from Nigeria, as Sanchez.
• Tailer Benson, a sophomore theater arts and broadcast and digital media double major from Elk River, as Prentiss.
• Alex Duus, a freshman communication studies major from Tyler, as the Boy (AKA Peter).
• Greyson Kadrmas, a freshman community psychology major from Dickinson, N.D., as Captain Robert Falcon Scott.
• Alexis Christensen, a sophomore flute and vocal performance major, TESL and acting/directing double minor from Lake Benton, as Bill Slank.
• Matthew Hartley, a junior political science major from Chippewa Falls, Wis., as Lord Leonard Aster.
• McKenna Hinrichs, a junior secondary education major, math minor from Ellsworth, as Mack and Hawking Clam.
• Colton Jensen, a sophomore theater arts major, political science minor from Sanborn, as Grempkin and Mr. Grin.
• Emma Lipinski, a PSEO student from Ivanhoe, as Smee.
• Tyler Martin, a freshman justice administration major from Menifee, Calif., as a pirate and Mr. Grin.
• Avianna McFarquhar, a senior theater arts and management double major from Marshall, as Teacher. McFarquhar is also the choreographer.
• Domonique McPhail, a junior theater arts major from Murdock, as Molly.
• Bryn Mongeau, a freshman music and social work double major from Beaver Creek, as Fighting Prawn.
• Noah Patterson, a junior elementary education major from Albertville, as Alf.
• Courtney Penning, from Wilmont and Marshall, as a sailor and the Ship’s Cat.
• Sidney Pitzl, a senior graphic design major, marketing minor from Wabasso, as Mrs. Bumbrake.
• Raxson Rax, a senior theater arts major from Milan, as the Black Stache.
• Elizabeth Zoya, a senior theater arts major from Maplewood, as Ted.