The Southwest Minnesota State tennis team went 1-2 while making a two-day swing through the Phoenix area.
The Mustangs had a pair of matches on Monday, first against Mesa Community College in Mesa, Ariz., and later against Glendale Community College in Glendale, Ariz.
SMSU split the pair, falling to MCC 8-1 to open the day. The Mustangs' lone victory came from the No. 2 doubles pairing of Shelby Monahan and Hannah Hagen, as they defeated Savanah Skarda and Madison Porter 9-7.
Crystal Overbaugh and Kayla Uphus were narrowly defeated in their respective singles matches for SMSU against MCC. Overbaugh lost to Skarda 2-6, 6-3, 10-3 in their No. 3 singles tilt, while Uphus fell 6-2, 5-7, 10-5 to Laura Jaramillo in the No. 6 singles match.
The Mustangs bounced back later in the day to pick up their first win of the season, taking advantage of three defaults in a 6-3 win over Glendale Community College.
Uphus and Samantha Ritter each grabbed singles victories for the Mustangs via default, while Ritter and doubles partner Allison Niedert claimed a doubles victory by default as well.
Overbaugh grabbed a singles victory for the Mustangs out of the No. 3 spot, topping Jackie Mettler 7-5, 6-3.
Overbaugh and partner Katie Kienitz were also victorious over the GCC No. 1 doubles pairing Sofia Rodriguez and Laura Kirby, 8-6. Monahan and Hagen duplicated their victory form earlier in the day, topping Mettler and Janet Rodriguez, 9-8 (8).
On Tuesday, SMSU travelled to Scottsdale, Ariz., to take on Arizona Chrsitian University.
ACU, an NAIA school, was receiving votes in the most recent coaches poll and showed the Mustang why they are so highly regarded, rolling to an 8-1 win.
SMSU's lone victory came from Uphus, who bested Sarah Edwards 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 6 singles spot.
The Mustangs (1-7) are off until March 23 when they return to Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference action in Fargo, N.D., versus Minnesota State-Moorhead and the University of Mary.
Mesa Community College 8, SMSU 1
1. Iulia Marceno (MCC) def. Katie Kienitz, 6-1, 6-4
2. Madison Porter (MCC) def. Shelby Monahan, 7-5, 6-3
3. Savanah Skarda (MCC) def. Crystal Overbaugh, 2-6, 6-3, 10-3
4. Karah Hedquist (MCC) def. Allison Niedert, 6-4, 6-2
5. Haley Stermon (MCC) def. Samantha Ritter, 6-1, 6-3
6. Laura Jaramillo (MCC) def. Kayla Uphus, 6-2, 5-7, 10-5
1. Marceno & Jaramillo (MCC) def. Kienitz & Overbaugh, 9-8
2. Monahan & Hannah Hagen (SMSU) def. Skarda and Porter, 9-7
3. Hedquist & Stermon (MCC) def. Ritter and Niedert, 9-7
SMSU 6, Glendale CC 3
1. Sofia Rodriguez (GCC) def. Kienitz, 5-3 injury default
2. Janet Rodriguez (GCC) def. Monahan, 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
3. Overbaugh (SMSU) def. Jackie Mettler, 7-5, 6-3
4. Laura Kirby (GCC) def. Hagen, 7-5, 1-6, 10-2
5. Ritter (SMSU) won by default
6. Uphus (SMSU) won by default
1. Kienitz & Overbaugh (SMSU) def. S. Rodriguez & Kirby, 8-6
2. Monahan & Hagen (SMSU) def. J. Rodriguez & Mettler, 9-8 (8)
3. Ritter & Niedert (SMSU) won by default
Arizona Christian 8, SMSU 1
1. Brianna Lopez (ACU) def. Shelby Monahan, 6-4, 6-3
2. Lea Souvigne (ACU) def. Crystal Overbaugh, 6-0, 6-1
3. Julia Anaya (ACU) def. Hannah Hagen, 6-1, 6-1
4. Taylor Als (ACU) def. Allison Niedert, 6-0, 6-0
5. Tiffany Levin (ACU) def. Samantha Ritter, 6-1, 6-2
6. Kayla Uphus (SMSU) def. Sarah Edwards, 6-3, 6-4
1. Lopez & Als (ACU) def. Katie Kienitz & Overbaugh, 9-8 (7-5)
2. Anaya & Leven (ACU) def. Hagen & Monahan, 8-5
3. Edwards & Souvigne (ACU) def. Niedert & Ritter, 8-2