Mom’s house of horrors

Dear Annie: I am a stay-at-home mom with three children under the age of 6. They currently go to their grandmother’s (my mother’s) day care one day a week to give me a chance to run errands and do extra housework. Lately, I have noticed signs of negligence. Some are minor, such as dirty faces and rear ends not properly wiped. Some are more serious, such as a 2-year-old child’s being left unattended outside with a small kiddie pool. Children frequently play unsupervised in a basement with litter boxes and alcoholic beverages within reach. Bathrooms are often unsanitary, and the play area smells of cat urine.

Additionally, I have witnessed my mother calling children names and talking cruelly about them in front of other children. My children also report this happening when I am not around. She has even spanked one of my children out of frustration, which she didn’t tell me but confirmed later when questioned. It is not unusual for accidents to happen at the day care without her knowing or mentioning them to parents.

I have voiced concern about the amount of processed food given for most meals and snacks, as well as the amount of time the television stays on during the day. I have spoken with other parents who have similar concerns.

I could go on and on with my list of complaints. The bottom line, however, is that I don’t want my children to spend time at their grandmother’s house without me anymore, but I don’t want to ruin the relationship I have with my mother. I’m not sure how straightforward to be with her, as she is not likely to change her practices after 30 years. (She most likely behaved the same way when I was a child, and now I’m in therapy.) I’m also not sure whether her day care should be reported to any authorities. Any suggestions would be most welcome. — Concerned Parent

Dear Concerned Parent: Act first as a concerned parent and second as a concerned daughter, because it’s the children at this day care who need you most right now. Place an anonymous tip with the relevant local agency (find out what agency that is in your state at and let the authorities confront your mother about her negligence. Encourage other parents to file complaints, too. And if you ever witness a child being physically abused or otherwise put in immediate danger, dial 911.

Send your questions for Annie Lane to To find out more about Annie Lane and read features by other Creators Syndicate columnists and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at