PREP BOYS SOCCER: Marshall edges Southwest Minnesota Christian in second half, 2-1

Photo by Emily Daniels Marshall’s Nick Kayser controls the ball during their game against Southwest Minnesota Christian on Thursday. The Tigers defeated the Eagles 2-1.

MARSHALL – The Marshall boys soccer team returned home Thursday looking to extend its five-game winning streak with a matchup against the Southwest Minnesota Christian Eagles. A goal in the first half from Jonathan Alvarez was the necessary boost for the Tigers as they went on to take a 2-1 win over SWC.

Coming off the win coach Matt Versaevel said its biggest strength was their ability to work together and hopes that it can carry on with them for the remainder of the season.

“Teamwork was a big importance because they’re on the ball right away. Getting in there and trying to get the balls right away,” said Versaevel. “So, getting in there and working together as a team really helped us.”

The Tigers starting lineup started out strong and with a mindset of getting out in front right away. Hsa La Eh was a key player in the first half of the game, controlling the ball with poise and strength to keep Marshall’s offense steady. The Tigers used their advantages on the offensive end of things to score the first goal of the game, which came from Alvarez to put the Tigers up 1-0 with 20:29 left to play in the first half.

The Eagles saw a few opportunities to find the back of the net but couldn’t make anything of it, the Tigers experienced the same drought for the rest of the first half going into the second half with a 1-0 lead over SWC.

Three close, but no good shots for the Tigers early on started off the second half, which was the energy they needed to keep the ball on their offensive end of the field. The Eagles struggled on the defensive end but that gave Marshall the advantage. The Tigers kept it together on both sides of the field, but the Eagles found a few weaknesses that gave them an opportunity to score a goal and that tied them up with Marshall at 1-1 with 29:56 remaining in the second half.

As the clock slowly kept creeping closer towards the end of regulation, both teams knew one final push on the offensive end would most likely be the difference maker. Marshall did a good job keeping the ball on their offensive end of the field and the hard work they put in finally paid off with a goal from Soe K Doe that gave the lead back to the Tigers at 2-1 with 11:50 remaining on the clock. The Tigers held their one-goal lead for the remainder of the game and extended their winning streak to six.

The Tigers improve their record to 6-0-1 going into their next game against Waseca on Saturday.