SMSU WRESTLING: SMSU returns to action in Minnesota State Duals
MARSHALL – Southwest Minnesota State wrestling returns to action for the first time in 2018 this Saturday in the Minnesota State Duals in Mankato.
SMSU will take on Wisconsin-Parkside at 11 a.m., followed by a second non-conference dual against Central Missouri beginning at 12:30 p.m., in the Taylor Center.
SMSU Projected Lineup
– 125- Taylor Curtis (7-7)
– 133- Brock Buysse (7-5)
– 141- Trent Butcher (4-7) or Nick Santos (0-0)
– 149- Justin Haneke (12-6)
– 157- Cortez Arredondo (10-5)
– 165- Kegen Fingalsen (7-8)
– 174- Griffin Osing (2-6)
– 184- Cole Hennen (6-4)
– 197- Jackson Ryan (5-5)
– 285- Andrew Peterson (11-6)
Last Time Out
– SMSU went 3-1 on Dec. 9 in the Augustana Duals with wins over Northwestern (Iowa), Morningside (Iowa) and Drury (Mo.).
– The Mustangs lone setback in the Augie Duals came at the hands of No. 23 Nebraska-Kearney.
– SMSU led by a 12-3 score against Northwestern, but needed a win by fall at 285 to even the match and earn the win by tiebreaker.
– The Mustangs had six pins on the day as a team and will now have four weeks until they compete.
– Justin Haneke went 4-0 for SMSU at 157 in the Augustana Duals including the Mustangs’ lone win against Nebraska-Kearney.
– Brock Buysse went 3-1 in the Augustana Duals with one pin at 133.
– Andrew Petersen went 3-1 on the day in the Augie Duals with two pins and one major decision at 285 including a win by fall to even the Mustangs match against Northwestern.
– Justin Haneke has a 12-6 record so far this season for SMSU with five pins.
– Andrew Petersen has an 11-6 record at HWT for SMSU so far this year with two pins.
– Cortez Arredondo has a 10-5 record so far this year with three pins.
– The Wisconsin-Parkside Rangers came in as the No. 2 ranked team in Division II in the latest top-25 wrestling rankings.
– Wisconsin-Parkside defeated SMSU, 33-12 in the only previous matchup between the two schools back during the 2001-02 season.
– The Rangers have gone 2-0 in their two dual matches so far this season.
– Wisconsin-Parkside has also competed in four open tournaments so far this season.
– The Rangers finished in first place out of 35 teams in the 39th Annual Midwest Classic on Dec. 16-17 in Indianapolis, Ind.
– Joe Arroyo was ranked No. 8 at 125 in the latest DII rankings.
– Airk Furseth was ranked No. 3 at 133 in the latest DII rankings.
– Anthony Cheloni was ranked No. 8 at 141 in the latest DII rankings.
– Frank Yattoni was ranked No. 3 at 149 in the latest DII rankings
– Pernevion Sheppard was ranked No. 3 at 157 in the latest DII rankings
– Nick Becker was ranked No. 1 at 174 in the latest DII rankings
– Connor Price was ranked No. 12 at 184 in the latest DII rankings
– 125- OPEN
– 133- Airk Furseth
– 141- Anthony Cheloni
– 149- Frank Yattoni
– 157- Pernevlon Sheppard
– 165- Brett Scoles
– 174- Nick Becker
– 184- Conner Price
– 197- James Lehman
– 285- Matt Halverson
SMSU vs Central Missouri Notes
– Central Missouri leads the all-time series against SMSU, 9-2.
– SMSU has won the previous two duals against Central Missouri.
– The Mustangs defeated Central Missouri, 32-15 back in 2014-15.
– SMSU defeated Central Missouri, 31-11 in 2016-17.
– John Feeny was ranked No. 12 at 125 in the latest DII rankings.
– The Mules are 2-2 so far on the season and have competed in four open tournaments.
– Central Missouri finished tied for 24th in the Midwest Classic on Dec. 16-17 in its last action on the season to this point.
Central Missouri Probables
– 125- John Feeney or Tyler Flood
– 133- Daide Agnew
– 141- Carson Meek or Zachary Schridde
– 149- Dominic Nobile
– 157- Kaleb Warner or Kaleb Brooks or Shea Conley
– 165- Jesse Reser
– 174- Allan person or Martin Brunnert
– 184- Braden Best
– 197- Dominique Hampton or Zach Benner or Noah McGinnis
– 285- Chase Miller or Ryan Morris
– SMSU will face its first conference foe of 2018 when it travels to take on Augustana on Thursday, Jan. 18, at 7 p.m.
– The Mustangs will host their first home NSIC match of the season on Friday, Jan. 19, at 7 p.m., against Northern State in the PE Gym
of SMSU Athletic