PREP BOYS SOCCER: Alberta Lea edges Marshall in Section 2A quarterfinals

Photo by Sam Thiel Marshall’s Jonathan Alvarez controls the ball during their Section 2A quarterfinal game against Albert Lea on Thursday. Albert Lea defeated Marshall 2-1.

MARSHALL – The Marshall boys soccer team fought a tough game against Albert Lea in the quarterfinals of the Section 2A tournament at Mattke Field but couldn’t come out with the win. With a scoreless first half, both teams came into the second half with the same mindset and that was to score goals and win. Albert Lea found what they were looking for in the second half and came out with the win over Marshall, 2-1.

The first half of the game saw a lot of aggressive play from both teams offensively and defensively. Marshall found a lot of opportunities to shoot the ball but couldn’t find the back of the net. Albert Lea’s Lennon Shimon, found his opportunity to shoot the ball on target late in the first half but was stopped by Marshall’s goalie Jacob Monzon. Marshall’s defense stayed strong to hold Albert Lea at the end of the half to 0-0.

Just eight minutes into the second half Albert Lea’s Spencer Indrelie found his shot and took it, scoring to give Albert Lea a 1-0 lead over Marshall. Not giving up, Marshall continued to play aggressively on offense and defense and found the ball going back and forth on the field for a majority of the half. Marshall was given a penalty with 9:40 left in the half, with a red card being pulled on No. 3 Franklin Matute and a goal made shortly after by Albert Lea’s Shimon, giving them a 2-0 lead over Marshall.

That didn’t stop Marshall from finding the net, with just 2:27 left of the half as Daniel Van Keulen found his opportunity and took it, putting Marshall on the board late in the game, 2-1. The last minutes of the game Marshall played aggressive offensive trying to get one in to tie it up but couldn’t. The Albert Lea Tigers took the win, 2-1, ending Marshall’s season and moving on to play the winner of the Worthington and Mankato Loyola game next Tuesday.

Offensively for Marshall, head coach Matt Versaevel was happy with the way the team moved the ball on the field, “We had a lot of chances in both halves, we were moving the ball really well and had the ball majority of the time. We just couldn’t get it in the net.” said Versaevel. “They (Albert Lea) just had a couple of lucky shots, and that’s all it takes.”

Even though Marshall didn’t come out with the win tonight, coach Versaevel is proud of the team and how much they have come together as a family towards the end of the season.

“The way we pulled together towards the end of the season, becoming more competitive and becoming more of a family,” Versaevel said. “We were trying to work towards that the whole season and that’s what we did and it will be our biggest strength for next year.”

Marshall ended their successful season with a 10-4-3 record, giving them something to look forward to going into next season.