In the spring of 1895, Father Jager of Holy Redeemer Church in Marshall and St. Edwards of Minneota arranged a get together of Polish Catholics. At the gathering, it was decided to build a church in Taunton. With that goal, a half block of land was deeded from the Winona and St. Peter Railroad to the Village of Taunton on May 10, 1895. On June 13, 1895, the church was dedicated by Father Jager and Father Zalewski of Wilno. It was named Sts. Cyril and Methodius after two brothers who were Saints of the Slavic people. These Saints were of Greek origin, and were consecrated because of their work and conversions with the Slavic people. Father Zalewski, who was pastor at Wilno, traveled to Taunton to say mass for the people in Polish during the years 1895-1897.