MINNEOTA - A fire reported around midday Tuesday destroyed a Minneota home, area firefighters said. Fire departments from Marshall, Cottonwood, Taunton and Ghent joined the Minneota Fire Department in controlling the house fire and preventing it from spreading to a nearby property.
Firefighters, along with the Minneota Ambulance, Minneota Police, the Lyon County Sheriff's Department and North Memorial Ambulance, responded to a fire at the home of Joe and Cheryl Cobb on North Monroe Street. While there were no fatalities reported as a result of the fire, the house was a total loss.
"The house was fully engulfed when we arrived," said Minneota Fire Chief Jeff Sussner. "Our first priority was to try and save the residence next door."
Photo by Anna Haecherl-Smith
Firefighters from the area attacked Tuesday's blaze at a Minneota residence from high and low.
The Cobbs were able to get out of the house, Sussner said. One person was helped into an ambulance and driven to the emergency room in Marshall to be treated for injuries.
"In the end, we had to knock (the house) down to extinguish the fire," Sussner said.
Sussner said a possible grease fire is suspected as the cause of the house fire.
In addition to fire crews on the ground, the Marshall Fire Department assisted with a ladder truck to help keep the fire from spreading. The neighboring house was very close to the burning house - close enough that one fire hose crew could be seen standing on the stairs to the neighboring house's back deck.
Sussner said the neighboring house had some smoke damage, but was saved.
Sussner said residents in the area surrounding the house were notified of the fire, as well as Minneota High School, which is located up the street from the fire scene.
Clouds of smoke and water vapor drifted through the neighborhood around the intersection of 4th Street and Monroe Street, as firefighters turned hoses on the burning house. Some local residents could be seen standing in small groups on the sidewalk and in front yards, across the street from the burning house and most of the smoke.
Sussner said the Red Cross has been called in to help the residents of the house.