Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

MHS wins state championship in 1963

January 28, 2013
By Ellayne Conyers , Marshall Independent

Part IV

In the Minneapolis Sunday Tribune, Saturday, March 16, 1963, issue, the headline on the Sports Peach Section stated: "MARSHALL WHIPS GRANITE FALLS FOR STATE BERTH - 52-47 VICTORY GAIN CROWN. Marshall overcame a distinct disadvantage in height Saturday night to come from behind for a 52-47 victory over Granite Falls to win the Region Three high school basketball championship and a berth in the state tournament.

Trailing 26-24 at the half, the Tigers from District Nine came on to outscore Granite 15-8 in the third period to build a 39-34 lead. Granite Falls, the District 11 champion, rallied on the shooting of Bruce Haugland to pull within 45-44 with slightly less than two minutes remaining. But Marshall went over the top when John Nefstead made two free throws with 2:2- left for a 47-44 lead. After that the Tigers assured their victory by hitting five free throws as Granite Falls fouled in desperately attempting to gain control.

Nefstead led Marshall to a 15-12 first-period lead but Granite Falls bounced back to outscore the Tigers 14-9 in the second period for its halftime lead. Haugland, with eight of the 20 points in the second quarter, led the Granite rally. Granite Falls' rebounding edge, led by 6-foot-4 Larry Cole and 6-3 Maurice Berg, suffered a fatal blow when Berg picked up his fifth foul just 19 seconds into the fourth quarter. After that Nefstead and Dennis Schroeder pulled down an equal share of rebounds for Marshall.

In the final and decisive period, it was Terry Porter, a rangy guard, who won for Marshall. Porter scored basket but added six vital free throws without a miss in that final eight minutes. In all, Marshall made 11 free throws in the final session. Porter was Marshall's high scorer with 18 points and Nefstead added 15. Marshall brings a record of 22 victories and one defeat into the state tournament. Granite Falls finished 18-5. A Myrum Field House crowd of 3,400 watched the championship game."

March 20th issue of the Lyon County Independent stated: " MARSHALL COMES FROM FAR BACK TO NIP HUTCHINSON A second-half comeback at St. Peter during the region three playoffs gave Marshall a 54-52 decision over Hutchinson last Friday. The Marshall cagers trailed at the end of the first three quarters before finally overcoming the Tigers of Hutchinson. At one point they trailed by 14 points.

The effectiveness of Marshall's Whitey Johnson at the free throw line during the fourth quarter, was the deciding factor that gave the district nine representatives the triumph, Whitey sank six of Marshall's 12 points that quarter, all of them from the line. After Terry Porter made a set shot to tie it up 48-48, Hutch got desperate and started going for the ball which resulted in foul trouble.

Marshall was hot from the line. They hit 77 per cent of their free throws (20 out of 26). Hutchinson, on the other hand, had few chances because Marshall only had seven team fouls against them. Hutch sank only two out of seven chances for 29 per cent. It was a different story, however, from the floor. Although both teams were hot, Hutch shot a better percentage. They sank 25 out of 44 attempts on target for 57 per cent from the floor. Marshall sank exactly half of their field goals hitting 17 out of 34 chances.

Hutchinson, sparked by the performances of Mark Linder and Carl Moehring, didn't get off many shots the second half. Linder, who averages close to 20 points a game, made six field goals out of 13 attempts the first half. He got only two shots in the second half.

Moehring, 6'4" center, gave Mattke's Tigers plenty of trouble. Moehring was deadly accurate, sinking seven out of eight attempts the first half and three out of five shots the final half. Linder scored 14 points for Hutchinson while Moehring stuffed in 20 points. They were the only two to break double figures for the district 12-crown holders.

Marshall, hounded by the aggressive Hutch defense, had somewhat better balance in the scoring. Porter was high for the Marshall cagers. He tallied seven of his final 17 points during the third quarter to help pull his teammates out of a six point deficit. Johnson finished with 14 points. John "Yogi" Nefstead, prevented from driving the baseline, was forced to punt from the outside. Yogi finished with 13 points."

(continued next week)



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web