Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Marshall girls’ hockey opens season strong

Megan Vogl scores game-winning goal against Fairmont to lift Tigers to 5-4 victory

November 16, 2012
By Travis Andries ( , Marshall Independent

MARSHALL - Goals from Hanna Peterson and Megan Vogl late in the third period erased a 4-3 deficit and gave the Marshall Tiger girls' hockey team a 5-4 victory over the Fairmont Cardinals to start the season Thursday night at Lockwood Motors Ice Arena.

The Tigers had previously led 2-0 and 3-2, but the Cardinals were able to answer twice. Fairmont took their first lead of the game after the second of back-to-back goals from freshman defenseman Tieryn Arens 9 minutes, 26 seconds into the third period.

"She's solid and it seems like she's never off the ice," Marshall head coach Kevin Schroeder said of Arens. "She's got some good endurance and she's out there quite a bit. She's a player to be reckoned with, that's for sure. You have to be aware of where she's at."

Article Photos

Photo by Travis Andries
Marshall’s Morgan Larsen, left, Mikenna Radke, center and Miranda Fischer celebrate with teammates after a goal during the Tigers’ 5-4 win over Fairmont on Thursday.

Marshall trailed for only four minutes, as Peterson collected a pass from Sara Anthony and released a wrist-shot past Cardinals netminder Miranda O'Connor high on the short side. And 100 seconds later the Tigers would be back in front.

Following an icing, Fairmont coach Scott Kuhl took his team's timeout with just over two minutes left in regulation. During the break, Schroeder talked to his team about their responsibilities on offensive-zone faceoffs.

"We had talked about being smart and everybody picking up a person off the face-off, go in right away to your spot," Schroeder said. "We were kind of being a little passive on that. The big thing was right off that faceoff for our weak side person to go right to the net. It worked out."

Fact Box

Fairmont0 2 2-4

Marshall0 2 3-5

First Period

No Scoring

Second Period

M-Miranda Fischer (Megan Vogl, Mckenna Radke), 1:29

M-Vogl (Bailey Archbold), 5:00

F-Taylor Nuss (unassisted), 7:58

F-Jalyssa Wilson (Brooke Lemon, Mya Lytle), 15:16

Third Period

M-Jessica Blanchard (Hannah Peterson), 6:26

F-Tieryn Arens (Lemon), 6:34

F-Arens (unassisted), 9:26

M-Peterson (Sara Anthony), 13:26

M-Vogl (Anthony), 15:06

Shots on Goal: F-24; M-24

Goaltenders: F-Miranda O'Connor (19 saves); M-Morgan Morrill (20 saves).

It worked out indeed, as Vogl slipped to the front of the net as the puck was drawn back to Anthony at the blue line. Anthony put a shot on target and Vogl was there to pop the rebound into the back of the net for her second goal of the game and what would prove to be the game winner.

Both teams were opening their season on Thursday and it showed during a anxious, but scoreless, first period.

"Both coaches were talking about how excited the girls were for it, and how wound up they were for it," Schroeder said. "You could tell that there were a lot of jitters there that first period. And that's what we had talked about in the locker room after the first period. I think in the second period, we came out better, started controlling the puck and were more aggressive on the forecheck. We got a couple goals there. I think the girls started settling down, especially after that first goal."

The Tigers got the first goal of the game, and of their season, 90 seconds into the second period when Miranda Fischer scored on a third-chance opportunity. Mckenna Radke and Vogl each had chances to score on the play, but in the end it was Fischer who pushed the puck over the line.

Vogl got her first goal of the game, Marshall's second, five minutes into the second period after Bailey Archbold's pass sprung her on a breakaway. The junior forward led the Tigers with three points, while Anthony and Peterson each had two.

A breakaway goal for Fairmont's Taylor Nuss cut the Tigers' lead down to a goal. The Cardinals later tied the game at 2 when Jalyssa Wilson was able to poke the puck between the pads of Marshall goalie Morgan Morrill with just 1:44 left before intermission.

Marshall jumped back in front when Jessica Blanchard knocked in a rebound on a Peterson backhand at 6:26 into period three. The lead wouldn't last long, as Arens struck eight seconds later for her first goal of the game.

Both teams had tired legs as the game wound down, but in the end, the Tigers proved the fresher squad as they maintained pressure on Fairmont until the final horn sounded.

The Tigers (1-0 overall) will look to build off of the win on opening night as they return to the ice Tuesday to host New Ulm at Lockwood Motors Ice Arena at 7 p.m.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web