Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Marshall soccer falls short to SWC in finale

Southwest Minnesota Christian scores three goals in second half to snatch 3-2 win from Marshall in Tigers’ final regular season match

October 3, 2012
Marshall Independent

Up 1-0 at halftime, the Marshall soccer team couldn't hold back the Southwest Minnesota Christian attack in the game's second half and fell 3-2 Tuesday at the Regional Event Center in what was the regular season finale for both squads.

The Tigers (4-9 overall) got a goal in the 14th minute of the game when Bryce Johnson settled a ball in the penalty box and passed it to his left to Ethan Hart, who struck a shot from eight yards out into the right side of the net.

Marshall head coach Pat Johnson said he put in a defensive unit onto the field after the Tigers took the lead. SWC had some close misses in the first half, and Johnson knew it would be hard to keep the Eagles (7-5-1) off the board.

Article Photos

Photo by
Matt Dahlseid
Marshall senior Ethan Hart, right, strikes a shot from eight yards out to score a goal in the 14th minute of the Tigers’ regular season finale against Southwest Minnesota Christian Tuesday at the Regional Event Center.

"We knew what to expect," said Johnson, whose team lost to SWC 2-1 in overtime on Sept. 13. "They're fast and physical, and in the second half I knew that their coach would come out with something. He was running so many guys down the middle. We made a couple of mistakes and they got goals off them."

SWC scored all three of its goals within the first 20 minutes of the second half.

The Tigers put together multiple good scoring opportunities in the remaining minutes, and broke through in the 73rd minute when forward Trevor Johnson got the ball down in the corner on a pass from Megan Vogl and chipped a shot over SWC goalkeeper Caleb Esslink to the far post for a goal.

Pat Johnson said Trevor Johnson was working well with both of Marshall's wings (Vogl and Bryce Johnson) throughout the match. He also thought Isaac Hart put in a strong defensive effort and did well to set things up for the offense from the back.

"Out team battled and really dug in, and that game could have gone either way," Pat Johnson said.

The Tigers now await who they will face in the Section 2A tournament, which begins next Tuesday. Section seedings come out on Friday.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web