A pair of come-from-behind wins helped lift the Marshall girls' tennis team to a 4-3 victory over MACCRAY Thursday in Clara City.
No. 3 singles player Jenna Gannott and the No. 1 doubles team of Maggie Roy and Maddie Schoephoerster had to fight back from a set down to give the Tigers a win in the team's final regular season road match and its final Southwest Conference match.
Roy and Schoephoerster struggled in their first set against Erica Bonnema and Rachel Davids, losing 6-1. But the Tiger duo regained its composure the following two sets, winning 6-4 and 7-5.
"Maggie and Maddie were neck and neck the whole third set. It was a real nail-biter," Marshall coach Holly Knudson said. "It was good to see them respond after that first set. They were fun to watch."
Gannott also had a tight third set in her 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 victory against MACCRAY's Jenna Mesbergen, although that's not the way it started.
"Jenna was up 3-0 right away in the third set and backed off a bit, and that allowed the other player to get going," Knudson said. "But she ended up picking it up and sticking it out."
Roy and Schoephoerster were the only Marshall doubles team to win Thursday. The Tigers were stronger in singles. No. 1 singles player Brooke Louwagie easily topped Brooke Rambow 6-2, 6-1, and No. 2 Marshall singles player Julia Hartmann blew by MACCRAY's Amber Wieberdink 6-2, 6-0.
The Tigers are now 7-8 overall and finish Southwest Conference play at 4-1. Marshall will compete in its final regular season match on Monday when the Tigers host Willmar at Marshall High School.
Marshall 4, MACCRAY 3
1. Brooke Louwagie (MAR) def. Brooke Rambow 6-2, 6-1
2. Julia Hartmann (MAR) def. Amber Wieberdink 6-2, 6-0
3. Janna Gannott (MAR) def. Jenna Mesbergen 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Kim Trulock (MAC) def. Anja Baumgarn 6-1, 6-2
1. Maggie Roy/Maddie Schoephoerster (MAR) def. Erica Bonnema/Rachel Davids 1-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Annie Sandry/Kaylee Christensen (MAC) def. Brittany Soupir/Rachel Landmark 6-2, 6-3
3. Heather Marcus/Belle Brynjulfson (MAC) def. Crista Schultze/Tori St. Aubin 6-2, 6-2