Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

It took a lot to get up that hill

June 16, 2012
By Cindy Votruba , Marshall Independent

In the week since I turned the big 4-0, I finally tried a 20-pound kettlebell in the YMCA's kettlebell bootcamp, was sung to twice in two different restaurants - the Hitching Post and Applebee's and I had a devil of a time trying to get up a hill Saturday (so I'm not officially "over the hill" yet).

Seriously, what is it with me and elevation? Three years ago, Ross and I made the trek to Timpanogos Cave in Utah, which is a mile and a half trail and more than 1,000 feet above the cave's visitor's center. Admittedly I was out of shape and the sign at the foot of the trail made some mention about people with heart conditions should probably think twice about making the trip. I figured we had an hour and a half until our scheduled tour, I should be able to make it. And it was a rough one. I had to stop quite a few times. Ross even took a photo of me on one of those stops and I looked worst for wear. But I got to the cave and was able to make it back down the trail. I even got the "I survived the Timpanogos trail" T-shirt. I think I earned it.

So back to Saturday's hill. I was at the first-ever Marshall Area YMCA Rad Run Adventure Race (as a reporter, not a participant). I asked where one of the obstacles was, the cargo net. It was straight up the sliding hill. I thought, no problem, I've climbed hills before. So I start to trudge up the hill. Before too long I felt like my lungs were going to explode. I can see it now - "reporter collapses from heart attack while going up the first part of the Rad Run, and oh yeah, she's 40 today." I finally managed to reach the top so I could get photos of the runners ducking under the net. Believe me, I did not envy the runners having to go up the hill. Then came the next fun part, going down the hill. Let's just say I took small steps so I didn't go tumbling down the hill. Last thing I needed, on my birthday no less, was to be a casualty.

Some folks at the run told me I should do the Rad Run next year. I'm like, um, well, no. I'm not a runner by any means. I have no endurance. Running three blocks is even tough. I could probably walk the three-mile course, but I'm sure I would've biffed it over the haybales or tires or landed face-first in the mud. Coordination is not my strong suit.

And unfortunately I only spent about 10 minutes at Lake Shetek on Saturday, my big time at the lake on my birthday. Soon, very soon, I will relax near a lake.

Oh and by the way, while I was being the intrepid reporter Saturday, my parents were the grand marshals of Somerset's Pea Soup Days parade. It's a complete mystery to them and me as to why they were chosen, but they appreciated the honor. They were even interviewed for a story by my hometown's newspaper, the New Richmond News, and everything. I hope they were able to make it through the parade route OK; my mom said the toughest part of it was probably going to be getting my dad situated in the back seat of whatever car they were riding in (my dad doesn't move too well because of his prior stroke and MS). I doubt they threw any candy unlike the plethora that was at the Russell parade. There was so much candy thrown that some kids near where I was standing just gave up scrambling after the Tootsie Rolls or Laffy Taffy. Not this old woman, I nabbed a few pieces before shooting the next photo.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web