MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A crisis center in Minneapolis was forced to shut down its teen crisis hotline earlier this week after it received hundreds of computer-generated calls in a cyberattack.
Bridge for Youth switched to another number Tuesday when the calls flooded the hotline. It's the first known cyberattack in Minnesota, but part of a growing number of similar attacks aimed at extorting money from agencies that rely heavily on their phone lines.
The organization's emergency services manager, Joan Countryman, says some of the calls were dead air and others were made by a man who asked for credit card numbers and money transfers with a deadline of one to five minutes. The Star Tribune (http://strib.mn/1nnzkEe ) says the agency was able to return to its regular number Wednesday.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com