Having a fun weekend

I was excited about last weekend as one of my friends was coming to Minnesota to visit her sister and family, along with their mother, and Ross’ family was celebrating its Thanksgiving Saturday and Sunday.

I must have been so excited Friday morning because I woke up, glanced at the clock, saw it was 6:38 a.m. and honestly, I couldn’t fall back asleep. So I did what I almost never do so early on Black Friday, I went shopping. Heck, I never do anything so early (I’m such a night owl).

Since I live relatively close to downtown, I decided to walk to the downtown stores. I went to Poppin’ Tags first, nabbed a couple of tunic-type tops and got in line. I then ventured into Coco Avenue. It was already hopping with activity. I didn’t know what the sale was at the time, it was just a little before 8 a.m. There was a line at the register. I was barely functioning. I also went into Solemates, got a pair of Darn Tough socks (I love my wool socks) and Nessa’s Naturals before having a little breakfast at Mainstay Cafe (formerly the Daily Grind). A couple of friends had come in, and we chatted until about 9 a.m. I had toyed with the idea of hitting one of the Black Friday exercise classes at the Y that morning, and I quickly flew there to go to Zumba. I was just a few minutes late and I was in my sweatshirt, but I managed. It was just a tad sweaty.

We made plans to meet with my friend Michele and her husband Rich at the Wal-Mart in Willmar. Michele’s sister and family live in New London. We get there at 2 p.m., and I have to admit I was just going to wander around until hopefully I ran into them. But I called their cell phone instead. They were by the deli area, and we met up at the electronics. People were still milling around the cheap DVDs kiosks trying to find that elusive bargain. I have done that in years past and ended up with more than enough stuff to last me for years to come (last year’s selections were the last three seasons of “Downton Abbey”). This year, nada. All I had in my hand was a bath sheet. We got our stuff and headed to the dog park in Willmar. Michele and Rich recently got a chocolate lab puppy named Mocha, and that dog has a lot of energy. Despite the gray and damp day, there was another dog at the park for Mocha to meet. The two of them ran around the park, chasing and sniffing and playing. They definitely had more energy than I did.

It was great to see my friends, and I think the last time I saw Rich was when he and Michele got married more than nine years ago. We all got along well, I think, and I’m hoping a trip to see them in Illinois is in the future.

Saturday was a day to enjoy turkey again. I think turkey and pumpkin pie are my favorite parts of a Thanksgiving meal. We enjoyed a good meal and then some visiting. A few of us wanted to check out the Marshall boys hockey game as the team was playing in a weekend tournament. I haven’t been to a hockey game since college when I attended a couple at UMD, so I wanted to go. Plus I also wanted to experience the Red Baron Arena at a sporting event.

I could sense the excitement in the air as the Marshall team took the ice. They were playing Fargo Davies (N.D.) on Saturday. We settled in our seats to watch the action. A lot of back and forth. But it was fun to be there. And the ’80s rock that played during timeouts, penalties, etc. added to the experience. Marshall ended up losing though, 5-2.

After the game and eating some lunch leftovers, it was time for more game-playing and more laughter. All in all, it was a good weekend.