Charged with assault

To the editor:

My name is Gerhard Ziemann, an insurance agent and investment representative for the past 20 years since 1992 in southwest Minnesota. I’m faced with getting my licenses revoked by the commerce department of insurance commissioners because of an incident that happened in November 2012 in Lynd.

Two area men filed a complaint I received in the mail the first week in March 2013. The incident occurred the second weekend in November 2012 when I was camping at city wayside rest in Lynd. Went there Wednesday and parked by the shelter and picnic table, slept in my conversion van while deer and pheasant hunting several times in the past 20 years. I am being charged with a misdemeanor of $1,000 or 90 days in jail for spilling some of my lunch pork and beans in a can on their amplifier and speaker system. The incident took place on the sidewalk, the main street between the juice bar/former restaurant and Lyndwood Bar and Grill. About 10 p.m. on Friday, I was awakened with loudspeaker noise across street from city park. After the noise awakened me I made a sandwich and opened a can of beans.

While I was sitting by the picnic table eating my lunch, I watched these two grown men chasing men and women up and down the sidewalk and street with their amplifier, harassing them. There was about 50 percent men and 50 percent women going into the juice bar. The two men were unknown by me; it sounded like they were preaching and judging people’s religion.

When the young women would get out of their cars the men followed them down the sidewalk. The women and men were 20 to 50 years old I would guess. The complaint by two men said that I spilled some beans on them and their amplifier. How did that happen? I went to the juice bar for tomato juice and beer which I mix and drink. Found out that they had no tomato juice and beer so I continued down the sidewalk going to the Lyndwood Bar and Grill.

When walking down the sidewalk between the two men, one man raised his arm with a speaker in his hand. We exchanged some words and I raised my arm automatically to protect myself, spilling some pork and beans on his amplifier and clothes. Then I went to the Lyndwood and had beer and tomato juice. When done, I went back to my van to leave town because of the loud sounds – people at the bar complained they could hear the amplifier two blocks away. Then the men yelled at me that they had my license number of my van across the street. I left town that night to find a new place to park at casino parking lot by Granite Falls.

The complaints were kind of amusing – they had me down for a middle-aged man with gray hair and 6 feet, 2 inches tall. I have been totally bald for 40 years, 5 foot 11 inches tall, 66 years old, 365 pounds.

After surviving ruptured appendix and ruptured kidney, cancer, heart surgery and stroke, I feel the good Lord is on my side.

Gerhard Ziemann

Buffalo Lake