Short Takes

Powerful message on Islam in U.S.

THUMBS UP:

Dr. Ayaz Virji delivered a powerful message during an event held Monday at Southwest Minnesota State University. The doctor from Dawson talked about “Islam in Post-Trump America “We live in a toxic environment of divisiveness. There’s a lot of Islamophobia. So many people believe that Islam is the cause of terrorism,” he said. One of the more interesting facts Virji revealed involved recent mass shootings. “According to the Department of Justice, 94 percent of the terrorist acts are not from Muslims. We only want to stop the 6 percent. The other 94 percent is OK. It’s part of life. That’s America It’s silly,” he said. Hmmm, something to think about.

Franken behavior disappointing

THUMBS DOWN:

The recent sexual harassment allegations against U.S. Sen. Al Franken are very disappointing. A Los Angeles radio anchor, Leeann Tweeden accused Franken of forcibly kissing her during a 2006 USO tour. Franken apologized Thursday, but fellow lawmakers rightly called for an investigation.

COMMENTS