Charges filed in Milroy standoff

Criminal charges have been filed against the man who was in a standoff with area law enforcement in Milroy last week, Redwood County court records said. Zachariah Steven Marczak, 35, of Milroy, made his first appearance in Redwood County District Court on Friday.

On Feb. 14, members of the Brown-Lyon-Redwood-Renville Emergency Response Unit tried for several hours to get Marczak to come out from a storage shed in Milroy before taking him into custody. The Milroy Area Schools campus was on lockdown as a precaution during part of the incident.

A criminal complaint filed in Redwood County District Court last week gave more details as to what led up to the standoff. Marczak has been charged with kidnapping, first degree burglary, making threats of violence, fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, domestic assault, obstructing legal process and ineligible possession of a firearm. The complaint alleges that on Feb. 13, Marczak and another person went into a room at Marczak’s residence. Marczak then allegedly blocked the door and told the person she was going to smoke meth with him. According to the complaint, the victim alleged Marczak was carrying a handgun at the time.

An investigator applied for a warrant to search Marczak’s residence, the complaint said. Law enforcement officers saw Marczak driving an all-terrain vehicle, and tried to stop him, the complaint said. Marczak then fled on the ATV, and went inside a storage unit in Milroy.

The Emergency Response Unit was activated because of the possibility Marczak was armed, the complaint said.

The complaint said law enforcement officers used a Taser on Marczak before they could apprehend him. The complaint alleged a knife was found on Marczak’s person when he was taken into custody.

Law enforcement conducted two searches at Marczak’s residence, and found items including a handgun case and different types of ammunition, the complaint alleged.

A hearing for Marczak was set for Feb. 26, in Redwood County District Court, online court records said. Bail was set at $200,000 without conditions, or $150,000 with conditions including that Marczak abstain from alcohol and drugs, that he doesn’t leave Minnesota, and that he does not violate any orders for protection.